18 June 2006

The Sounds of Silence.

Cell phones are a new technology for me. Embarrassingly I've (reluctantly) just brought my 1st one and I have to admit as far as cell phones go, it seems I'm in the slow lane right now.
Everywhere I look I see teens with customised bling cell faceplates, cameras/video snapping, p2p mp3 file sharing, mmprpg gaming and walkie talkie capability. These teens will never know a time before the existence of the internet and therefore are quick to embrace, absorb and find new applications in their lives for faster and better modes of communication.

It's no wonder then that the ultrasonic teenager repellent (or The Mosquito) - A high tech device that emits an oscillating ear-splitting 17-kilohertz frequency only teenagers can hear, originally designed to disperse young people loitering in front of their stores while leaving adults unaffected - Has been absorbed, hacked and remixed as a tool 'for' teenagers as a ringtone on their cells only they can hear, so they can receive text messaging and phones calls in class without any adult teacher being aware. Another example of bleeding edge technology and the insight of youth culture and the application of some pretty amazing lateral problem solving.
Gotta give 'em credit. (Link)

While I'm on the topic of new tech, you gotta see this video of the incredible I/O Brush it's totally amazing.

[Technorati],,

By Erueti Brown with 1 comment

1 Jabber?:

that is sweet beans man. i wonder how soon we can expect to see that on the old visa bill